Kuhmo is a town of about 8,500 inhabitants, and it’s located by beautiful waters near the Russian border. Kuhmo’s nature is wilderness taiga, landscapes and magnificent fauna of which are an essential part of the townscape. The pristine wilderness provides a unique setting for seeing and photographing the great beasts of Finland: bears, wolverines, Finnish forest reindeer and other rare animals in their own habitat. Kuhmo offers holidayers plenty of nature activities such as rafting, canoeing, fishing and hiking. We will stay at Hotel Kalevala, which is located near the center of Kuhmo on the shores of Lake Lammasjärvi, in the middle of pure nature, far away from industry and traffic noise. The building is of Finnish architecture and it is designed in the shape of the Kokko bird of the Kalevala epic. The hotel is unique also on global scale and it has been declared a protected building by the Finnish Heritage Agency. From a four-day tour You can customise a nature experience according Your group’s wishes. As an additional order, it is also possible to stay overnight at a bear watching spot.
Nature holiday on bear’s lands in Kainuu region
Nature holiday on bear's lands in Kuhmo, Nordic Feasts, bear watching
We will pick up the group from Joensuu, Kuopio or Kajaani, from where we will continue our tour to Kuhmo admiring on the road the Finnish landscape.
- Accommodation in Hotel Kalevala
- Welcome coffee
- Dinner “Nordic Feasts”
- Breakfast at the hotel
- A visit to the nature center Petola, in the exhibition of which we get to know Finland’s large carnivores – bear, wolf, lynx and wolverine. You will learn about their size and appearance, sounds and traces, movement and reproduction, as well as their manners and living environments.
- A hearty lunch at the hotel before leaving to the Eastern border for a bear watching evening.
- Evening at the bear house from about 5 pm to 10 pm (in April and September earlier)
- Late returning to the hotel, evening snack.
- Breakfast at the hotel
Nature activity day, the program of which can be selected from the following activities as an additional service:
- Canoe trip on the lake or rapids
- Exciting rapid swimming
- Hiking on foot / cycling in the woods
- Hiking trip in the footsteps of a bear
- Church boat trip
- Lunch either at the hotel or on an excursion depending on the activity
- In the evening a smoke sauna and dinner by the campfire
- Breakfast and departure home
Please contact us and find out more about group tours and their organisation. Contact Samimatkat office tel. +358 50 4700 787 or send an email to email@example.com
The programme includes:
- Transportation according to the programme
- Guided tours: Visit to the nature center Petola and an evening in the Bear House
- 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, 1 picnic lunch and 1 evening snack
- 3 nights at hotel Kalevala
- 2 times evening sauna
The price will change according to the tourist season.